Q1: What is the Sentinel Asia?
The Sentinel Asia is a voluntary basis initiative led by the Asia-Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum (APRSAF) to support disaster management activity in the Asia-Pacific region by applying the WEB-GIS technology and space based technology, such as earth observation satellites data.
Q2: What is the APRSAF?
The Asia-Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum (APRSAF) was established in 1993, in response to the declaration adopted by the Asia-Pacific International Space Year Conference (APIC) in 1992, to enhance the development of each country's space program and to exchange views toward future cooperation in space activities in the Asia-Pacific region. APRSAF was originally designed to provide opportunities for regional space agencies and associated governmental bodies to exchange technical views, opinions and information on national space programs and space resources.
Q3: What is the Joint Project Team (JPT)?
To support the implementation of Sentinel Asia, the JPT was organized. Responsibility of the JPT is to conduct the following activities:
- Draft, formulate and operate an implementation plan of Sentinel Asia
- Promote the capacity building projects
- Promote the outreach projects
- Maintain the point of contact
- Investigate and refine user requirement
- Report to APRSAF
- Formulate plans for future activity
Q4: Who can join the JPT?
Membership of the JPT has been open to all APRSAF member countries, disaster prevention organizations and regional / international organizations prepared to contribute their experience and technical capabilities and who wish to participate in disaster information sharing activities. They may participate in JPT by consent of the JPT members.
Q5: What is the role of each Node?
Sentinel Asia is composed of three kinds of Nodes according to the role of participating organizations.
- Data Provider Nodes provide their own satellite imagery and/or data to JPT members upon the emergency observation request from JPT member to the extent permitted by the data policy of each DPN when disaster happens.
- Data Analysis Nodes analyze the satellite data provided by DPN, make value added product and disclose the result through the Sentinel Asia System within the domestic legislation of each DAN permits.
Q6: What is the benefit of participating in Sentinel Asia?
Sentinel Asia is a voluntary basis initiative to support disaster management activity in the Asia-Pacific region. JPT members can request the emergency observation when disaster happens in their country, and get various information (satellite information for disaster through emergency observation, rainfall information, wildfire hotspot information, meteorological satellite information, etc) for disaster management.
Q7: What kinds of satellite data are provided by Sentinel Asia?
Sentinel Asia provides earth observation satellite imagery and/or data based on the data policy of each DPN in emergency observation, rainfall information, wildfire hotspot information, and japanese meteorological satellite - MTSAT information.
©Copyright 2009 Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, All Rights Reserved.